In Austria we often had beer Fondue in the winter time, but you can make this wine Fondue anytime. The inspiration for this romantic and simply delicious Fondue came from the winemaker of Bouchaine winery. The really nice feature about this recipe is that you can prepare the caramelized onions and the bacon bits ahead and just melt the cheese before dinnner. Serve it with fresh crusty bread or French Baugette, and open a bottle of delicious Pinot Noir or (if you can find it) Pinot Meunier and you just created a memorable evening!
Here is a little trick when you are making fondue, and you are shredding your own cheese: always mix with a little flour. It gives the Fondue more thickness and helps the cheese to melt evenly. If you use store bought shredded cheese it already had some type of starch mixed in so you can add less flour.
- 4 slices of Bacon - fried & crumbled
- ½ Onion - thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½ Lb Gruyere Cheese - shredded
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- ½ cup of White Wine - Chardonnay
- ½ Baguette - cubed
- n a hot saute pan fry bacon slices. With a slottet spoon transfer to a paper towel lined plate and let it cool. Crumble to small pieces. You can store it in the refrigerator over night.
- Melt butter in a small saute pan and add the sliced onions. Sprinkle in the sugar and season with salt and pepper. Caramelize onions over medium high heat for about 15 minutes or until golden color. You can prepare it in a day or two in advance.
- Add the shredded cheese to a bowl and mix well with the flour
- Heat wine in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat. Do not boil the wine! Gradually whisk the cheese into the simmering wine, so that it can melt evenly. Stir in the caramelized onions and half of the bacon bits and cook for a few minutes.
- To serve, tranfer the hot mixture to a Fonue Pot or to a heat proof glass bowl and top it with the remainig bacon bits. You can use fondue forks or skewers or other smaller forks for dipping the bread cubes.
- PERFECT PAIRING: Bouchaine Pinot Noir or Pinot Meunier